Friday, February 14, 2014

Kickstarter Weekends: Water War, Robot Heart

It’s been about a month since the last Kickstarter Weekend which by my calculation is the proper amount of time to do another one. Today we’ll only be looking at two new projects, both being particularly quirky ones. But before we get into them let’s look back at our three previous projects and check on their status. 

Michigan City Vandals Album Project: Funding Pending

Final Earnings: TBA 

Unfortunately my friends in MCV have not been doing as well as I’d hoped with their new project. They’ve only accumulated just over one grand of their $5,000 goal. This sucks because they are a really awesome band and in the time since the last KSW a ton of shitty bands with much larger goals have gotten their shitty albums funded. The Michigan City Vandals deserve to have their album funded too and that they haven’t really makes me a bit disgruntled.

But there is still time because the funding period is still in progress! If you have not yet done so you should pre-order their album on their Indiegogo page and help make this thing happen. I have heard that they will settle for $2,000 and , if true, they’re just a few pledges away from that (remember that Indiegogo will let them keep what they've raised). Tell your friends, tweet the link, share it on Facebook. Too often good bands get ignored so let’s all work together to make sure this isn’t one of those times! [Link]

One Nation - Out of the Darkness: Funding Pending

Final Earnings: TBA

Like the previously mentioned entry One Nation’s funding period is still in progress. They’re doing pretty good though they have yet to reach their goal. I feel pretty strongly that they’ll be able to do so as they have over two weeks left on the clock. [Link]

Low Budget Ethnic Movie: Funding Successful!

Final Earnings: $20,561 ($20,000 Goal) 

Of all the projects I talked about last time this was the one I was most worried about. However it would seem that it just barely made it to the finish. Which means this intriguing and potentially important film will see the light of day. I’ll be keeping my eye on this as I’m pretty goddamn gung-ho about watching it. Maybe a review down the line…?

Two new projects after the jump.


Water War 
Not to be confused with "Water World"
Goal: $30,000

Deadline: 9:09pm EST, 4/11/2014

So apparently Josh Nikolas wanted to make a war film but came to the realization that since he’d never been to war then he wouldn’t be able to make a proper one. So he decided to do the next best thing: make a movie about a bunch of kids shooting each other with super soakers. Of course it was. I would do the same damn thing.

As I understand it the premise is a war film where rather than adults killing each on a blood splattered battlefield it features fifth graders with squirt guns fighting across a public park, using dialogue far too advanced and mature for their age and playing the entire thing as straight as possible. This pretty much sounds like the best movie ever. I need this movie, you need this movie, the world needs this movie. What’s more interesting is that Nikolas has put in a lot of prep work for this flick as he’s made over a thousand storyboard detailing the film in its entirety. (With sound. Is that normal?) Nikolas needs $30,000 to do this film but he stated that no matter what happens he’ll make the movie with what resources he has.

I have to talk about the Kickstarter video used for this project. It doubles as a pitch video and a proof of concept. It’s also twenty-seven minutes long, which is likely just long enough to make random visitors get bored and leave the page (plus it turns out that they made three video prologues leading up to the Kickstarter which adds up to about an additional twenty minutes). That’s no small amount in time investment just to see what a project is all about. That said it was that long ass video that got me so excited. The action, and clearly tongue in cheek nature of the film, really made me want to see what these guys would do with a good budget. It also makes me want to buy a super soaker but it’s probably for the best that I resist that urge.

Anyway the project has a good amount of time before the deadline so I guess there’s no rush. But if you like the idea of young kids dealing with the futility of war or suffering from staring into the void only to have it stare back (and also water guns) this may be something you want to check out.

Visit Water War’s Kickstarter Page.

Robot Heart
I for one welcome our new robot/Hawaiian overlords
Goal: $3,000

Deadline: 12:59am EST, 3/11/2014

I have discussed Kawehi before. Her original attempt to get money to produce an album through Kickstarter failed but rather than give up she tried it again a while later, this time successfully. Since then she has been able to be a full time musician by releasing and funding an EPs every couple of months (POP, VOX, and the previously covered TOY). She’s working on another EP entitled Robot Heart, with the theme being that the music is done through use of machines and the lyrics are from the point of view of a robot. So on top of everything else it sounds nerdy as hell. Okay, I’m down.

Truthfully I love Kawehi. I discovered her during her VOX campaign and became really into her music even though I’m normally not into that particular style. But the song “NEDA” almost instantly became one of my favorite songs of all time. She is seriously one of the most talented musicians I’ve ever heard (she’s also gorgeous and seems to have quirky personality, but that’s not super relevant to the music). She's been one of three musicians in the last three years that have greatly inspired me with my own music so I feel like it would only be proper if I wrote about her new project.

But all that said at this point she’s fully funded and, as of this writing, has over twenty days to get even more (which she will) so it’s not like there’s a desperate need to back the project. However, as I said, her music is fantastic and you check it out. If you like what you hear you can use this project to pre-order this upcoming album.

So uh, yeah...that's a pig suit, isn't it?
Visit Robot Heart’s Kickstarter page.

If you know any cool Kickstarter and/or Indiegogo projects, or if you have a project that needs support, feel free to post a link in the comment section (though take in mind as moderator of the comment section I have the right to not allow any posts that I am especially against for any reason).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...