Saturday, December 8, 2012

Kickstarter Weekends: BIT Parts, Barkley 2, Nightwing

It’s time again for more plugs and karma gathering as I list off my favorite current Kickstarter projects. It’s been a while since we did one of these. I’ve been really busy with a verity of other things in life the past few months (especially NaNoWriMo from last month) so I’d fallen behind on my Kickstarter searches. I did come across a few projects during the down time but I just couldn’t get a blog together for them. Thankfully all those projects got funded without my help so it worked out. Today we’ll have three new projects to look at.

Also MALICE: The Webseries (from the first Kickstarter Weekend) has successfully been uploading new episodes since Halloween. Since, as you know, I’m very attached to that show I heavily suggest you go watch them (Maybe one day I’ll have time to watch them too. Sigh).

Before we get into the new projects let’s check in on last time’s Kickstarter campaigns and see how they did:

Kalamazoo's Music Scene CD/Festival: Funding Canceled!

Final Earning: $0 ($6,500 Goal)

Unfortunately it looks like the project was canceled due to lack of response. It’s likely it would not have reached its goal even if it had lasted to the end. Still I doubt we’ve seen the last of this project.

Through the Fire: Funding Canceled!

Final Earnings: $0 ($750,000 Goal)

Michael Dorn’s dream project just couldn’t make it so he put it out of its misery. I’m not very surprised by this; the project had a huge goal but lacked the right type of advertisement to support it. I have a decent amount of Trekkie friends and none of them had even heard of this movie. For all of Dorn’s hope that this would motivate the Star Trek community it didn’t really seem to reach all that many of them.

Compare that to another Kickstarter project, Star Trek: Reengages, that made nearly $250,000 and also featured several Star Trek veterans.

Leaving Megalopolis: Funding Successful!

Final Earning: $117,660 ($34,000 Goal)

It actually reached its goal even when I posted about it so it should surprise no one that it was a successful campaign. Still it smashed it’s bare minimum proving that the industry was hotly interested in a Gail Simone/Jim Calafiore (so then how about a return of Secret Six, then?). Sadly I wasn’t able to afford to donate to get a copy of the book and I’m pretty sure that that was my only opportunity to get a copy. Sometimes even when you win you still lose.

Molly Danger: Funding Successful!
Final Earnings: $50,329 ($45,000 Goal)

The Cinderella Story from last time had a happy ending, thanks to a lot of comic book creators helping spreading the word. I sincerely believe the world is a slightly better place with Molly Danger being made.


So as you can see it doesn’t always work out on Kickstarter Weekends and sometimes there are tears. Three new projects after the jump.



BIT Parts 
I'm not a Nintendo nerd and even I think that's rad
Goal: $30,000

Deadline: 12:59AM, 12/15/12

BIT Parts is a  live action web series that’s one part X-Files and one part ReBoot. Having just wrote that sentence I’m already confused as to who wouldn’t want to watch the hell out of that! Soulless goblins, most likely. Anyway it’s about two special agents who apparently live in a video game world and investigate strange cases that seem to be linked to player characters/users/invaders. It’s pretty interesting stuff. Blue Goggles Films wrote a 24-epsidoe season but wisely decided to break it up into groups of six. The first six episodes are done and they’ve been releasing them during their Kickstarter campaign. The money they’re asking for actually goes to the next episodes.

The problem is that despite that fact the show looks awesome and that they have plenty of high quality proof of concept for some insane reason they haven’t even gotten half of their goal. Which means, as of this writing, they have less than a week to pick up nearly twenty-five grand! That seems improbable by this point but I will say that I’ve seen Kickstarter projects make that much within their first few days so it’s not out of the question. It’s a really difficult feat but with help they still might be able to pull it off. So if you have the spare cash or if you just want to aide in spreading the word I’m sure they’d appreciate any help.

Visit BIT Parts' Kickstarter page.

Barkley 2 - An RPG Sequel to "Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden"

Goal: $35,000

Deadline: 9:00PM, 12/28/12

Actually the full name of this game is The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 - Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie - Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa. As suggested it is the sequel to the bizarre freeware RPG Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden which itself was an extremely unofficial fanmade sequel to Barkley Shut Up and Jam. This game franchise is certifiably insane and with this new project it looks like things are really going off the rails. Not satisfied with merely releasing a joke game the team at Tales of Game's decided to make a full on, for profit, game that really doesn’t seem to have anything to do with Charles Barkley at this point.

I bring this project to your attention mainly because the whole thing makes me laugh, but also because weirdly the game actually looks pretty interesting. It’s an old school Action RPG set in a cyberpunk universe that fits right in with this resurgence of retro style games that have been popping up in the Indy Game scene for the last three years. Now, unlike the other projects today, Barkley 2 is fully funded; in fact it even reached all its current stretch goals. So while it doesn’t need your support as badly as other Kickstarters every dollar still goes to making the game better, no matter how much they currently have. If this sounds like a game you’d like you might want to check it out.

I should censor that but I think it tells you exactly what this game is about
Visit Barkley 2’s Kickstarter page.

Nightwing: The Series
Still better than that proposed "The Graysons" TV pilot from a while back
Goal: $20,000

Deadline: 5:26PM, 2/3/13

Another web show project, Nightwing: The Series is a follow-up to the fan film Batman: Nightwing (an oddly named film since Batman didn’t show up at all) that debuted earlier this year. The film was popular so the creators opted to make a three part web series with an actual budget. Because this is based on copyrighted material no one is making any actual money off this. They’re doing it because they love Nightwing. And guess what? I also love Nightwing, considerably more than I like Batman, and I’d love to see a one of my favorite characters in a live action setting by people who share my love of good old Dick Grayson. Dick kind of got screwed in Christopher Nolan’s Batman Trilogy so any publicity that helps reminds everyone how awesome he is deserves some funding.

Plus, I should point out, the original film was pretty good considering the circumstances where it was made. And not only did it have Barbara Gordon as Oracle and Jason Todd as the murdering psychopath he is it’s already less frustrating than what DC Comics is currently putting out. I think with a larger budget we could end up with something really cool. The goal is $20,000, the lowest of all three projects, and it also has nearly two months to get that money so I guess the urgency is not super high but still if you like what you see why not donate?

Visit Nightwing: The Series’ Kickstarter Page.

I guess since I gave you a video game project that was already funded I’ll throw you one that probably needs your cash a little more. 

Bonus Project: Forsaken Fortress
Guns are usually a good sign in video games

Goal: $100,000

Deadline: 1:35PM, 12/22/12

This is a strategy role playing game set in a post-apocalyptic setting where you are building a base and defending it from the harsh world. Truth be told this isn’t really my normal cup of tea but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t intrigued. If some of the ideas talked up on the page come to fruition it could end up being a pretty fun experience. Check it out and see if it catches your fancy. 

As of this writing Forsaken Fortress has less than two weeks to raise sixty grand (it is by far the most expensive project of the day) so it’s crunch time for the creators. If you’d like to chip in hit up the link below. 

Visit Forsaken Fortress’ Kickstarter page. 


If you know any cool Kickstarter pages, or if you have a project that needs support, feel free to post a link in the comment section (though take in mind as moderator of the comment section I have the right to not allow any KS posts that I am especially against for any reason).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...